Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sticks And Stones


What is it with my kids and getting hurt lately? First Robert gets jumped and beat up and now Shari has been injured. Last Thursday night was insane here. We had bad weather upon us and it came to the point where I had to throw the kids into the storm shelter in the backyard. Well I hate that damn thing but you know it's a good thing to have if a tornado does hit. So at the time it's just me and the two kids. Robert was not at home at the time but that's another story.. Grrrr.. Anyway....the dog came running into the backyard toward the shelter and well she can't clear the steps because she's an ittle bitty and too short. So Sis says she's going to get her and stands up. She puts her left foot on the first stair and when she goes to put her right up there she catches the top of it on the under side of the stair case. The metal staircase.. yep.. Raw sheet metal. So she starts to howl. Well it's dark down there and my flashlight is dim. I'm thinking a deep scratch.. And those hurt like hell right? WRONG! All the sudden I start to hear this sickening thick liquid hit the cement. I flash my light toward her foot to see blood pouring up and over her slip on tennis shoe and hitting the floor. Oh holy shit I almost passed out. So.. Nick ran her into the house, bandaged her to slow the bleeding and brought her back out to the hole to safety until the storms passed. Thankfully it wasn't a long wait either. When it was over we got her out and off to the ER we go. This child has not only torn the top of her foot open but she's cut open a blood vessel. It was not pretty. She ended up having a section removed on the vessel, a mattress suture put in and that was closed up with 13 stitches. I feel terrible. I should have been the one to get the dog. Poor kid! But I have to say she's damn proud of those stitches. She's managed in one injury to out stitch both of her brothers on all of their injuries.. KIDS! LOL

No comments: