Friday, February 10, 2006

Memories Of Yesterday......Hopes For Tomorrow

Today I made myself a new cd from music I had on my computer. An odd mixture of music. Old and new. Every song I added evoked an emotion though. As the Carpenter's sang in harmony over my speakers I was taken back to childhood and my Summer vacations in Oregon. These songs remind me of times with my father. The drive from California to Oregon was a long one but we made a good time out of it. We'd push like mad to get to our favorite motel in Northern California that first day of travel. I'd blare the Carpenter's from the 8 track tape player in the car and sing along. He'd hum along and giggle every once in awhile. He hated that music and no doubt if he were alive today he'd still hate it. But he listened to it with good humor....for me. That fills me with happiness and fondness when I think back on those times. So many people have had tainted childhoods and while my own wasn't perfect it was happy enough to store a plethora of good memories in this mind of mine. So, as I hear the words floating out, "We've only just begun......" I smile the smile of that 9 or 10 year old girl and know that I've got enough good memories to last a lifetime.

1 comment:

Wrkinprogress said...

The Carpenters had a very special quality. I still can't believe Karen's gone. During the holidays, I listen to the Christmas Portrait CD dozens of times, always tearing up when Karen sings "Ave Maria" as only she can do. It doesn't hurt, either, that they sang one of Leon Russell's songs, "Superstar", and made a huge hit out of it. "Don't you remember you told me you loved me, baby? You said you'd be coming back this way again, maybe...Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh baby....I love you....I really do..." And "We've Only Just Begun" was the class song for the Class of 80 at Escambia High School, my alma mater. :) You rock, Miss Thang. And so did 8 tracks, for that matter!

WIP